PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Became of the Last Mustard Gas Delivered to the RAF
Old 29th Apr 2009, 20:37
ColinB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the Bowes Moor shells were long gone. Most of them were decanted and shipped to Rhydymwyn if Grade I or destroyed on site if Grade II/III.
The manufacture of these bombs at Randle was totally out context. The UK policy was to destroy all mustard gas stocks and Major Toler was tasked with that job. Mustard was irrelevant in a nuclear age and insignificant in a nerve gas age.
Then all plans for destruction were shelved and Randle recovered 4,500 tons of mustard gas manufactured in WWII by rail from five widely dispersed sites and made it up into 12,170 new style 1,000 lb bombs. 170 were used for testing and the remaining 12,000 were stored at Randle or Norton Disney. There is no doubt they were filled with Y25 or Y3 mustard gas.
I can think of no contingency for their use. Suez was later, Malaya, possible I suppose but Runcol did not like the tropics.
Did we make them for export? Israel, dangerous for them really but possible
Who would be the potential customers in the Commonwealth? Canada, no, Australia, no, South Africa, mm they manufactured there in the war.
I suppose that the best possibility is that it was an export order but I have no idea who to