PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Captain arrested on suspicion of alcohol offence CLEARED
Old 29th Apr 2009, 17:45
Stop Stop Stop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although intrusive, maybe there is an argument for a LION alcohol test machine to be installed at every airport - then in situations such as the one described, the pilot can be tested immediately and returned to duty within minutes when it is proved that he is not over the limit?

This would prevent any doubt and would be a quick way of resolving the issue
Having spoken to a friend who was breathalised on a random inspection at the aircraft, he said that he was so wound up by the whole 'guilty until proven innocent' attitude of the police following the experience that he was really unfit to fly afterwards. So maybe if the pilot IS hauled off to Plod's room and breathalised, he should go home once proved innocent.

In my company a couple of years ago, there was a well publicised incident where one of the flight attendants went onto the flight deck and smelt alcohol. Rather than say anything, whilst taxiing out, she called her boyfriend on her mobile phone and asked what she should do (he was a police officer). He decided to call his mates and the aircraft was stopped from getting airborne by the police telling ATC to prevent it departing. The aircraft returned to the stand and boarded by several police officers who breathalised both pilots. Obviously, they were both under the limit.

The Flight attendant had smelt alcohol wipes used to clean the headset and those parts of the cockpit that harbours the most germs (i.e. most of it). When the captain was told by the police how he had been reported, he stood in front of the passengers and explained the whole story to them- and then said that because he was so wound up by the whole situation, he was getting off. They were offloaded, the cockpit crew got off and the cabin crew member concerned was suspended from duty.

Moral- be careful who you accuse. Any problems, a quiet word will normally suffice. Alcohol is really not a problem amongst 99.99999% of crews. Of course there will always be one or two but the problem cannot be pretended that it is a new one. In the 50's and 60's pilots were often as pi$$ed as farts, but they didn't seem to cause crashes. Nowadays, it has (quite rightly) been eradicated from pilot culture to the most part through fear of getting caught- particularly since the channel four program with the undercover reporter crashing a BA room party. Once upon a time, the alcohol problem was self-policed by the crew ("can I have a word Nigel old chap- your breath is rather interesting this morning- you did say that your ears were remarkably blocked on your drive to work- would you like to borrow my phone to call crewing?")- that is why there are very few incidents relating to alcohol. Now, it is the fear of some big copper hauling you away because they smelt mints on your breath and if you are a tad over from the glass of wine you had the night before, you will go to Gaol (Jail for the Americans).

I don't condone drinking of course- I might have a pint the night before a duty but not within 12 hours of starting. It really is not worth throwing your career away for- not least your liberty. Prisons are not nice places- particularly not for the average pilot, who is unused to those sort of establishments. I feel very sorry for those who have been sent away.