PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pressure on Engineering
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2009, 10:57
TURIN

Received 204 Likes on 113 Posts
Commercial Pressures?

Ian, your aim is a tad off.

Commercial pressures exist but they never manifest themselves through the Flt Crew.

30 yrs on the job, 20+ as a certifying Engineer and I have never had a Captain ask me to "Pen off" a defect.

Pressures come from a much more subtle direction. The people who know nothing or very little about what makes an aircraft tick or what hoops engineers and flt crew have to jump through to gain the privelage of doing their job. It is they, the station managers and gound staff, with 400 passengers all demanding why their holiday is delayed, they who ask the (to us) stupid questions and direct their stress levels upon us who are trying our damndest to fix whatever happens to be delaying them. They have a drip, drip effect on, especially line engineers, as they want the aircraft two hours ago, the crew are going out of hours, there's a 'jet ban' at *** after midnight etc, etc.
I could give examples but I know they would be used out of context and without reservation.
Yes, commercial pressures exist and can be cause for concern, but it is not through sensational journalism that an answer will be found. It is through the constant vigilance and professional attitude of Licenced Engineers, Flt Crew, Dispatchers etc that will stop the smoking holes in the ground.

I trust the media about as far as I could comfortably spit a rat, I never buy newspapers and take TV news with a pinch of salt. The wild speculation and panic surrounding Swine Flu being the latest prime example.
If you want facts Shoey, get access to CHIRP.

Good Luck.