PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ006 final report out 26/4/02
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2002, 00:26
G.Khan

Thegypsy - you have chosen to be highly selective in your memory I think, if you were to read back over posts made by me since I first came to PPRuNe in April 1997 you would find on many occasions I have been highly critical of SIA and its practises, however, when I think SIA are being unfairly slated then yes, I will post my opinions.

I cannot reprint it here but the editorial in this weeks Flight does not entirely agree with Insider107's view that the report from ASC and the way it has classsified its findings is correct and fair nor does it think that the exclusion of the SIA representative in the analysis phase of the investigation was in accordance with ICAO recommendations either. Trying to downplay the extent that the badly marked and lit RW05R was a contributing factor to the cause of this accident does ASC no credit at all.
This aspect, however, is really just nit-picking at the periphery, it is much more important to ensure that this sort of accident does not happen again and that both SIA and Taipei Airport get their respective acts together.

As far as Gladiator is concerned, had he not fallen foul of the system, (many do not), he would probably be a B744 captain now and you would not have heard a peep out of him. One might be forgiven for mistakenly thinking that Gladiator walked away from SIA solely on the grounds of his concern for flight safety.