PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pressure on Engineering
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2009, 08:18
BAe146s make me cry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK, A Plus and Minus

In the UK, aircraft maintenance is generally of a high standard when compared to other non-EASA and certain (not all) other EASA states.
I have worked in many countries to recognise and appreciate that fact.

Here is one very real outstanding UK aircraft maintenance standards issue.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To quote Tom Sawyer::: 'To obtain an UK CAA B1 Licence these days is a long and difficult journey, approximatley 7 years. Once you hold that licence you have proved yourself to degree level. We value it, and the industry needs it (and should recognise that) to maintain and improve high levels of safety we already have.'
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course there are exceptions. The UKCAA converted 20+ approved
mechanics to EASA Part 66 status in September 2006 in less than a week for the largest UK airline. There was a deadline to meet in September 2006 and the all powerful commercial requirement was there. The UKCAA also converted at least one individual for the 'bearded one's' airline. These conversions are permitted as long as the regulatory conversion procedure is followed.

Personnel have to meet the minimum training & experience criteria, therefore they would all need thorough assessment. No assessments were carried out and the individuals concerned did not perform any examinations. EASA Part 66 Licences were then issued by the UKCAA incorrectly. Many thousands of UK/EASA registered aircraft at various European line stations (& Beardy's guy at KJFK) have been and continue to be certified by these individuals daily since then.

EASA have since proven upon a standardisation inspection at the UKCAA that the required conversion procedure was not followed. There is an outstanding and uncorrected EASA finding on these conversions.

With respect to the above, what EASA/EC will actually enforce remains to be seen. EASA/EC were 'forced' into taking action with INAC of Portugal only recently.

This '20+ approved mechanics-to-part 66' issue remains an open case pursued by the ALAE (1981). The UKCAA remain convinced the licences are legal but evidence collected externally and retrieved by the FOI act so far by the ALAE (1981) would suggest otherwise.

The UKCAA 's poor comparison 'Its only 20 or so out of 14,000 Licences issued' doesn't work well with those that have worked hard on courses, with long study and final examination to attain the Part 66 licence correctly.

There has to be consequences for Competent Authorities, Organisations AND Individuals when it comes to wrongful interpretation of regulations & deliberate violations (for mere convenience) in the MRO industry.
One word. Standards.

BAe
Licenced Avionics Technician
www.alae.org

Last edited by BAe146s make me cry; 29th Apr 2009 at 10:40.