PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swine Flu
Thread: Swine Flu
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2009, 07:36
Flying Bagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must say, EXEZY, that I agree with the fact that the media is already in panic mode, much like they are with everything else. Would you expect anything less from those poor souls?

However, to say that this is being blown out of proportion so that the pharmas can make dough is a bit...well...blown out of proportion. Using 1976 as an example is hardly an argument breaker, because, if you have done your research, there have been other 'pandemics' which have existed.

To say whether or not this one matches the other ones in terms of lethality or seriousness is very hard to ascertain at this stage. Look at it objectively, there is nothing to panic about at this point. They're still having trouble trying to figure out who has died from this thing.

You know, SARS had a mortality rate of 9.6% across all age ranges. if it wasn't contained like it was back in '03, who knows what might have happened. In this case, I applaud the measures taken by the Mexican government, but I'm not about to go stock up on Tamiflu because of this.