PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Buccaneer
Thread: The Buccaneer
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2009, 06:13
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
GW, yes, obviously different eras!

Last time I saw BC, he was at St. Athan as the resident fast jet TP - and seemed to have aged about 5 minutes in 20 years.

Thundering around at low level in the mighty British beast was an epic experience - I think my most enjoyable trip was with my fellow student in the back during 'WS FAM2', when we were sent off to look for things to attack! Licensed hooliganism!!

Least favourite was HI NAV 4, one Saturday morning in November. Launched off and into low cloud, up to high level for rather a pointless triangular navigation exercise (offset TACAN was a godsend though) - the 3 student crews in a 20 min stream. Back to Honington, a GCA and overshoot due to Wx below limts, then another GCA to land at Mildenhall. 40 min IF - and none of us had Instrument Ratings. 2 of us landed at Mildenhall, the other went below his limits and landed at Honington. Then a slow bus journey back to Honington before they grudgingly admitted that the Wx wasn't going to improve, so let us stack. We did at least then have Sunday off before a week of low level navigation.....