PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pressure on Engineering
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2009, 01:01
Tom Sawyer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Ian,
as an Engineer for a major UK carrier based at an "Outstation" I think I am well qualified to respond. Put simply there is no substantive grounds for your story. Personally I have never dispatched an aircraft with any of the type of defects you mention, unless I can legally do so under the MEL or our comapny in house dispensation procedures. Worn out tyres is simply a no-go. I grounded a aircraft of another carrier only 10 days ago due to a tyre problem and had no qualms about doing so. Due to the growing litageous nature of the aviation world it is simply not worth it, and on a personal level it is all about pride in the work you produce. Engineers have a reputation for being cynical and beligerent and this maybe comes from the fact in general we do not bow to commercial pressure, although we are of course mindful of the current economic climate. In fact, I think it is more likely the case that if we did come under any pressure from someone, we would more likely dig our heels in. No one can over ride my decision. It is under my hard earned Licence that I dispatch aircraft, I'm not going to throw it away at the behest of some bean counter who wants the aircraft back no matter what.
There are problems with the actually legislative side of aircraft maintenance, and you maybe worth discussing these with the ALAE who fight long and hard on our behalf to maintain the status of Licensed Aircraft Engineers. They are currently investigating one such situation, but it is to do with Licensing and not actual aircraft defects.
Personally, I'd rather you approach the story from the angle of the degradation of our status. To obtain an UK CAA B1 Licence these days is a long and difficult journey, approximatley 7 years. Once you hold that licence you have proved yourself to degree level. We value it, and the industry needs it (and should recognise that) to maintain and improve high levels of safety we already have.