PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Other staffs' perception of Pilot Group
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2009, 23:30
Busbert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATY
Considering that anyone working in aviation is inferior to the dumb end user (who twiddles a few knobs, and letting the FMGEC/FMGC drive) , I'd sure as hell hate to be the one that spends his 'career' sitting at the pointy end of a fragile tube designed by the cheapest engineering labour, and made from several hundred thousand parts all made and them maintained by the lowest bidder.

Add to that, an aircraft is the sum total of all of the engineering balls-ups made since it entered service, so you gotta hope that we are not as dumb was you think we are.

And don't make the mistake of thinking that all engineers get grease under their nails... Even I tend to call them technicians, to differentiate the difference between those that design and those that fix.

At the end of my career I'll be able to reflect on the various aircraft types I've had a hand in designing (from aerobatic trainers through to the A380 - even worked on some Concorde mods).

You will be able to explain to your grandchildren that you sat in a pipe and operated the taps to burn a few million tonnes of jet fuel in the atmosphere. But then again they probably won't want to talk to you, because you're an obnoxious pilot.