PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Captain arrested on suspicion of alcohol offence CLEARED
Old 28th Apr 2009, 20:27
Lost in Saigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YHZChick
GroundedSLF

Huh?
If I have to work in the morning, I have the common sense to stop drinking at a reasonable time prior, and 300 pax haven't placed their lives in my hands.
12 hours bottle to throttle. It's not rocket science. And I don't know a single professional pilot who doesn't respect that limit--and when I say respect that limit, I mean they aren't falling down drunk at 12:01:00.

Even if you go by the 8 hours required by CARS, if you don't have the judgment to know 8 hours after you quit drinking that you are in no shape to fly, you're probably in the wrong profession.

Unfortunately, it IS rocket science....

I too often layover in LHR, and I always consume a few pints. And I always stop drinking at least 12 hours prior to my flight.

The problem is the legal limit in the UK is .010 percent blood alcohol. That is very close to ZERO. How can you be sure that you are below the limit 12 hours later? I always assumed that I was under .010 12 hours later, but now it's got me wondering.