PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why redundancies/Furloughs are necessary
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2009, 18:02
AeroBoss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossbones:

Thank you for calling me a genius.

Words fail me as to why even on an issue as complex as this, people need to insult each other or call each other names.

But anyway, I will reply in a calm and collected manner.

All I was implying in my post is that it was MY own rule and when people have come to me in the past for advice on changing airline that is what I have told them. I am not saying it is an exact science, but so far it has worked!

As far as redundancies is concerned:

I certainly don't like them anymore than you do. I did suffer the consequences once upon a time. My experience is that more often than not companies get it wrong, knee-jerk and make people redundant and hire them back the next month. (A friend of mine was given the boot on the Friday (after 9/11), got a phone call on the Monday to pick up his original roster. Walked away with all the severance cash (and stress of course I grant you that!)).

That is why when you join, the first few years, you sit tight and hope for the best.

I don't know how bad this thing is going to get, and I just wonder now where we are going to draw the line. Not everyone can afford to take "voluntary"SLS. I know some will sign out of fear but with the track record of CX, who can blame them. A job is better than no job.
I am all for voluntary UPL to save jobs, that is what I thought I was doing.

I would be quite useless at running an airline at the moment (or anytime in fact) but I don't think the way CX is dealing with this crisis on FOP side or this whole SLS thing is necessary (signing of a contract that does not exist yet etc...). Having said this, they have what they want: clans forming with people ranting at each other.

And by the way, even with Cos 08, it looks like we are still going to have freighter guys, UFOs on bases out of seniority etc (not blaming anybody personally: we all take what we are given). All of a sudden, nothing changes!

Like the sentence about small willy syndrome stuff.

This is just discussion. No need to get so wound up if you disagree. Never forget we are colleagues not family even if 99% of us get on like a house on fire

Look forward to flying with you

AB