PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bird strike at Heathow
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2009, 12:03
pumaknight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bird strike at Heathow

Hi all,

I was down at Heathrow early the other morning to get some photos in great light and weather, before I went to a meeting nearby. And I witnessed something that shocked me to death!!

A flock of birds (pidgeons I think) flew up infront of a South African A340 as it crossed the perimeter of the airfield. The birds struck the plane in a huge explosion of feathers etc. None seemed to go into the engine, but birds, feathers and bits of bird were raining down from the sky straight after the plane.

I counted at least 10 birds falling with wings broken, or in pieces!!

I have some photos (not brilliant but you can see the strikes).

Anyone know if this would cause the plane to be non-operational? Or if it would need a check done??

Probably quite minor in the scheme of things, but shocking to watch it happening through the lens, very shocking!!

Here are the photos - I wasn't going for any particular shot, just panning with one eye on the view in camera and one eye on the outside to see where the reference point for me to shoot was. So excuse the composition and marginal blurriness. The shots were fired quickly when I realised what was going to happen,

As you can see, lost of birds and lost of bits. Main strike was central fuselage - the feathers and smear at the front of the wing box faring are where a few hit - but there are some over the wings, under the wings...quite gruesome in the flash. Raining entrails for a few seconds after the hit

Anyway here the are full and some crops to the finer points!! Anyone need any other crops, let me know. Click on photos to see them in 1024 wide.

There are a few other crops that are a little nasty, I have left them out just in case youa re having breakfast :-)