PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Flu Thread
Thread: The Flu Thread
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 23:14
tigermagicjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel and airline industry will most definatly suffer from the "News" - unfortunately, however can you blame people for not wanting to travel to countries where they might get a virus which we at the moment will need 4 to 6 months to find a proper cure for?

Or shall we feed propganda to protect business and trade, that it is not need to fear, the risks are minimal?

For USA to admit deaths on their own land would be a disaster, that's why I would not believe all the news coming out from the USA, where they are saying all good so far, we have the virus but no one has died from it yet.
In the current economic climate, that would be the last thing the USA would want now, however EU have warned against travel to the USA, much to the disgust of the US politicans.

Most people here have family, children - so why would anyone want to take a risk if not of uttermost importance?
Not create panic! Of course not, the news channels are great to spin a story out of control, however the moment any of the 1.st world countries reports deaths in their own country - there will headlines much larger then the events in Mexico. Unfortunately that's how politics and news works, however maybe it will be a non event, or maybe thousands or more will die.
Anyone having some knowledge about how bacteries, viruses - how easy they spread - will maybe have a different view on this. I am not expert - however i would not travel to Mexico under these circumstances - and it is a pity, because Mexico does not deserve the economical loss this will create for the country, but this is going to be the price that will be burdend on Mexico.

Yes we should not panic, we know there are sharks in the sea, so when we go for swim we can be in danger - that's why we choose to swim where we know/believe and hope there are no sharks - because it is hopefully safer! That's why I personally would stay away from places where it has been documented high numbers - but then again that is my personal choice. I guess the swines can be encounterd anywhere, regardless of the odds!