PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 TOGA selection and Go around mode
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 21:47
Bagot_Community_Locator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would you want G/A mode with an EFTO? (If that is what you mean). It is not logical, Captain.
Yes, exactly, I did NOT want G/A mode, it is not logical, but it did happen.

Let me further explain :

I experienced an engine fire after take off during the initial climb before acceleration altitude (no power loss).
I shut down the engine on fire (in accordance with ECAM)
We were above acceleration altitude now and I had to select speed to prevent acceleration to 250 knots with one engine inoperative.
I selected TOGA (for better climb performance until we reach the engine out acceleration altitude)....but then the stupid thing went into G/A mode when I did not want it to !!

Not logical.
Not what I wanted.

You can say that it went into the G/A mode because I selected TOGA with flap out and that this meets the engagement conditions for the G/A mode. I agree, in accordance with FCOM

However why doesn't it enagage the G/A mode when you select TOGA before the acceleration altitude ? It is not in the G/A mode but you do meet all the prescribed conditions for engagement.

My instructor said that if you select TOGA below the acceleration altitude, then it will not engage the G/A mode. However if you set TOGA with flap out above the acceleration altitude, it will then engage the G/A mode. It would be nice if it clarified this in the FCOM.

If if does say this, then I can't find it anywhere.