PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Hours Pilot
Thread: Low Hours Pilot
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 21:19
BetpumpS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviator, if you look at my post, I can't find any sentence that shows me making fun of the pool. I only made a sarcastic remark in your direction (which I have apologised for) becasue you asked the question "Are there any other guys in the same pool as I am".

As for how I got there, it is irrelevant because frankly the industry is nothing like it was when I got my first job. If I came out of training now, I'd be Type rated on a Mcdonalds Chip Vat. Also my financial circumstances (or should I say my Dad's) were probably a little more healthy than most wanabees today. However since you asked:

My dad (airline pilot retd) remarried a filipina woman and moved out to Manila during my early teens gaining dual citizenship at the time along with me. During my school holiday between 1st year A-Levels and 2nd year, I started my PPL in the Philippines going solo a day after my 17th birthday. Completed a conversion back in England and flew weekends during my last year of A levels building up hours. By the time I finished my A levels, I had a PPL and 106 hours incld night rating. Did ATPLs full time then Completed CPL and ME/IR

I was over 18 and a half by then. TR were relatively cheaper back then so went on the 734 TR. One day after I finished the TR, got a phonecall from dad in Manila that there were positions available in the Philippines on a 737-200. Was on the next flight out and had an interview that week.

A few months after my 19th birthday, I flew my first flight out of MNL RWY24 to Mactan.

I dont really know if anyone can relate to this as the industry is pretty poor. Apart from financial assistance, I was lucky to have dual citizenship as well for a country where aviatiion was booming at the time - PAL pilots seeking better pay, pilots from Cebu pacific and other airlines moving onto PAL and thus creating a momentary demand for FOs.

Right now, I don't think any country has a great demand for pilots - esp 250hr cadets.

Wher am I now? At 25, I got a job on a 744. I wont bore you with my ramblings. Just go through my past posts and you'll read how I'm not really enjoying it much.