PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foriegn Pilot Working in UK
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2002, 18:07
erjdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Denise,
are you by any chance the same Denise who trained at Businness Air in Oklahoma?
Anyhow, here's some info about the easier way to convert an FAA license to JAA (which you need in order to work in EU)

1st. get an FAA ATP. It's very easy, just a simple written test and a flight check (same as the commercial multiengine). You only need 3 hours of flight instruction (can be done in a couple of days.
2nd. once you have the ATP, enroll in a correspondence JAA ATPL course. I highly reccomend Bristol. The cost is 1000 pounds if you don't want the 2 weeks brush up course (although I've heard it's worth it)
3rd. get a JAA 1st class medical certificate (it's not as simple as it is in the States)
4th. with an ICAO (FAA) ATP, a type rating, and 1500 hours in type you only need to pass a flight check conducted by a CAA examiner and, of course, all the 14 JAA ATPL exams.

If you are already qualified (ATP, type rating, and 1500 hours in the 73), you DON'T need any additional flight training. On the other hand, if are not qualified, then you have to go through the whole training process again (although you get some credits).

Should you have any question, please e-mail me. I musthave made hundreds of calls to the CAA, so the above information are reliable.

Oh, I forgot, you can also get your license validated for a year, but that's been difficoult after 9/11.

Take care.

P.