PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Farley's new book
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 18:20
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stilton

Well what an interesting question. I have no idea why they are like they are and the two pilots who (probably) discussed the options with the designers in 1959 are both dead. I tried to contact Ralph Hooper but could not reach him. When I do I will let you know. Certainly I know Bill and Hugh did NOT want the sense of the nozzle lever to be aligned with the nozzles (ie nozzle lever aft when nozzles aft and nozzle lever forward when nozzles forward). This was because people are used to pushing things forward to go faster (whether it be RPM or airspeed)

I suspect (not the same thing as know) that the position of the throttle was chosen to be like any fighter which is usually fairly well outboard and where your left hand naturally falls - rather than close to your body. Remember that the throttle traditionally carries quite a few ancilliary controls including a twist grip (in those day) for gunsight ranging (youngsters will not know of wot I speak) and I would not like to operate that close to my thigh.

If my suspicions are correct then the only place left for the small and simple nozzle lever was inboard. Speaking personally I have never felt I wanted them round the other way.

Glad you enjoyed the book.

JF

PS I have just managed to raise Ralph and he has no recollection of any discussions on your topic only the one I mentioned above regarding the sense of the lever.

He did say that IF anybody had wanted them the other way round he would have worried that more lateral space would have been taken up and that was at a premium.

JF