PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Controlled Airspace....Basic Service or FIS?
Old 27th Apr 2009, 14:06
Jumbo Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Talkdownman
<<FIS is dead and gone>>
OK, then, what service does an aerodrome FISO provide in a Rule 45 ATZ ?
That's an ingenious question, Talkdownman ...

CAP410 has not (yet?) been amended to reflect the new ATSOCAS but the duties of a FISO are stated in the current edition (March 2002) of CAP410 Part B at Chapter 8, para 1.1, which says :

1.1 With the exception of issuing instructions to aircraft on the ground as described in previous chapters, FISOs are reminded that the service they provide is an information service relating to the ATZ and aerodrome. They must ensure that the information given to pilots is distinct and unambiguous, as pilots will use this information for the safe and efficient conduct of their flights.

... which in current terms sounds to me a bit like a cut-down Basic Service. On the other hand, you might argue that it is an Aerodrome Flight Information Service ... ?

There again, CAP774 mentions in Chapter 1 Service Principles, para. 3 that ...

3. The Services

... The specific services (Basic Service, Traffic Service, Deconfliction Service, Procedural Service) are designed to cater for a wide variety of airspace users and tasks and shall be applied consistently by controllers/FISOs and pilots.
and further in para. 4 that ...

... FISOs are not licensed to provide Traffic Service, Deconfliction Service, or Procedural Service. Therefore, pilots should not request any of these services from a FISO unit.

so maybe it is a form of Basic Service after all ...

Originally Posted by Hootin an a roarin
I don't believe in CAS you can give a BS as it is an ATSOCAS.
But CAP493 MATS Part 1 says you can - see my post above ...

JD

PS My brain is beginning to hurt, as well ...

Last edited by Jumbo Driver; 27th Apr 2009 at 14:31. Reason: reference to CAP774