PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basic Service - What's the point?
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 11:17
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a load of twaddle.

For example, around London a significant investment has been made in providing a single composite service which was desperately needed. Farnborough will more often than not assign a squawk when they are providing a basic service, and are excellent at providing a traffic service even when it is busy - for example going up North on Sunday I had an excellent traffic service from them both ways and, not surprisingly, it was reasonably busy.

On less busy days a basic service is often equally as valuable. I have commented before the numerous occasions when other pilots have reported they are at so and so are are routing form x to y. With the inclusion of their level it is simple to deconflict with that traffic. I understand the chances of a collision are remote, but why on earth not deconflict if you have nothing better to do.

With regards a Mayday call your example is not creditable. If you are really low level, forget the call, land the aircraft that is your only priority unless you really are 100% up to speed. If you are at any half sensible height once you have sorted out the aircraft bang out your Mayday call over the top of everyone else if necessary, not only will you find you will be heard, but everyone else will shut up. Moreover the controller will more than likely know where you are, or roughly where you are, and will have your details. We have had this discussion before Rod but unless you are struggling so much to fly the aircraft (see my comments below and /or invest in an autopilot) I cant believe you havent got the time to make the odd call - I am sure you will find it will brighten up your day.

Unless you are miles from any where, or think you are about to get lost at any moment, I have no idea what you think you will gain from keeping 121.5 handy. It might be ok if you have two boxes and are working the frequencies on box 1 with the FF, otherwise I think most pilots are far better off working one frequency and having the next ready on the FF. Obvioulsy if you are in the wilds of Scotland it may be a different matter.

Do the rest of us a favour - if you are en route any where in England make use of the services available and even if you perceive them having no benefit to you at least have a care for the controllers and the rest of us who will be grateful - unless of course you are so busy you havent got time to make the odd radio call it which case your time might be better spent with some refresher training form Bose or some mentoring .

From an entirely selfish point of view while you are about it if you wouldnt mind switching on your mode A or C or S, particularly if you really cant be bothered to talk to anyone and are happier listening to the chat on 121.5, it really isnt helpful to the rest of us for you to bimble around with it tunred off in case you run into some bit of CAS; if you havent got a transponder forget about all the mode S hype. The one favour it has done us is you can pick up a mode C for not a lot. At least my TAS will very nicely paint you up and in case you dont see me you can bet I will see you.