PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police Civilianisation of air support
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 09:14
R44-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, dont jump down my throat......

But, do we need £3m+ helicopters for the Police? granted probably the Met and the biggest of citys like Manchester etc....
But what about places like Yorkshire and that? I'm not saying Yorkshire dont deserve a nice new expensive twin etc its a vast vast area to cover I just look at some of what the U.S Police, and other countrys manage with, 500's 206's AS350's etc..... (and im sure a 500E could get places as faster or faster!) and think either how many more we could have flying or how much money could be saved??

Dont get me wrong, I would LOVE to fly EC135's and MD902's and envy the guys who do, but the heli's that are used solely for Police, i.e. not HEMS/Police joint use, do they really need to be £3m+ machines?
could a nice 500E or AS350 not do the same job around the more rural countys?

The camera systems seem so advanced these days the pilots dont seem to need to go really low to get good coverage or pursue a stolen vehicle, most seem to be quite high to get a good field of view and see the road ahead......

I dont know, its just more of an opinion/question really so dont attack me ppruners! But curious for your thoughts!