PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why redundancies/Furloughs are necessary
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 08:51
AeroBoss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why it is the only way to go...

Please Max, no insults, just trying to discuss in a democratic grown up manner:

For the company, redundancy means severance pay, retraining because you end up with overcrewed on one side and undercrewed on the other side, and an immediate dismissal of the (unfortunate) guys that are elected for flight safety issues. You don't want a guy about to lose his job to be flying an aeroplane full of pax! Unfair, maybe but life is unfair sometimes.

So redundancy=major headache+lots of $$$$. Plus its double edged: if they get it wrong and rehire the guys they've just sacked, before it is worth sacking (typically 1 year), then they look bad (I know...) or even "badder" because their assesment of the business was flawed and now it is out in the open they are inept. Furthermore, the shareholder is p!ssed off because the company has lost all the severance pay for nothing.

THAT IS WHY IT IS A TOUGH DECISION unlike SLS, and they'd better get it right... Redundancy is only worth when the company is struggling financially. WHICH CX IS NOT. I am not saying business is good at the moment, but by starting SLS, we open the floodgates to oblivion.

Where do we draw the line...
Big question is, today they want 1/2/3/4 weeks from me. If next year they want you to go 50% part time, maybe you can survive, I cannot.

I stick to my 7 year cycle. DO NOT GO TO THE BOTTOM of a (ANY) seniority list (from) 7 years after a downturn in aviation (9/11)

BTW, I am not talking out of my backside, I have been there, like most people who have been in the industry for more than 10 years. It is part and parcel of the aviation industry. Now is the time were I would like to rip the benefits of having made the right choices and enjoy a bit of protection.

I would love to keep the juniors and your generosity/altruism is commandable, I just don't think it is practical/applicable.

Any time you change airline, you take a risk. The GFC was created by people who took risks, and now I am going to pay tax through the nose to make up for it. Sick and tired of bailing people out...

Anyway, we are mere pawns in a game of chess. And sorry NR, people will talk about it in the flight deck because it is our families you are affecting, not just a number on a bank account. To you guys up there, money is a game, we do not have that luxury.

Good luck to you all. But please, agree to disagree and stick together.

PS: Make it kown to other staff that CX is giving us nothing less than an ULTIMATUM on things that have got nothing to do with SLS