PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pig flu and an economic crisis...
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 08:21
breakfastburrito

Location: On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone is zero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
offtopic

Amelia, firstly never is a very strong word, the definition of which almost certainly invalidates the rest of you arguments, however lets put that aside for one moment.

Wikipedia, can, however suffer from exactly the problems you state, as anyone can indeed edit it.
Several external independent reviews of Wikipedia disagree with your conclusion.
I note that the wikipedia article I linked has over 130 footnotes, many referencing the CDC and WHO, as well as external links clearly marked to both organisations.
Finally, I note that Biosecurity Australia has no information on its web page regarding swine flu. The NSW government department of health provides extremely limited information in its swine flu information.
Government advice so far appears to be limited to basic personal hygiene precautions.

No other document on this topic I have seen on this topic approaches the depth of the article I linked to, especially from an aviation industry perspective, given its susceptibility to panic, real or imagined as well as infectious diseases.

The main thrust of my original post was to discourage taking the mass media "panic" hook line and sinker, and provide a reference so individuals can get an in depth perspective, review the information provided, follow links and draw their own conclusions from the perspective of the aviation industry.