PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines who ask pilots to pay to fly !
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2009, 01:01
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PA38, I think it's unfair to say there is no skill involved. There is a basic level, and some people just have more of a knack than others I guess. What's all this about your own natural ability, and wrong background??

Guessing you're from the UK (as I am) that is just a fact of life, and you should already know this going by your age. It's the way things work there, and more so now, with these silly people who fall for all the bullsh*t told to them by the big name CPL/IR places, who feel they are better than everyone else as they will go to a great school, then get a jet job with 250hrs TT. Good for them. Pilot's are seen as a higher class in the UK, flying an elite pursuit, and the old boys network and class system is still in force.

I had enough of that crap, so moved stateside, where flying isn't as elitist as in the UK, and with experience and time, any job is open to pretty much anyone. Sure they have airline academies, but they still have good old spit and sawdust flight schools which teach you the art of flying, as opposed to the UK way of saying FREDA,HASELL,BUMPFICH etc at every opportunity, instead of using your hands and feet and controlling your airplane to a good standard while knowing what your doing, and why you're doing it. GA is also doing well here, and you can still make a worthwhile career doing more of the hands-on (more skillful?!) flying you're familiar with from your PPL.

There is an apparent lack of skill in contemporary commercial aviation, what with perfectly serviceable Airbii ploughing into the sea, 737s stalling on final, MD83's flying towards hotels instead of runways, crews landing on taxiways, MD11's cart-wheeling down runways etc etc. There are also more than enough light 'plane "weekend fliers" with their "I'm a stick and rudder, not autopilot guy" who are still killing themselves turning base to final and in other "simple" flight regimes.

I see what you're saying PA38... I fly tailwheel and aerobatics, and am a proficient pilot regarded by my peers as "a good stick" having a good feel for the airplane. I always have, it comes easy to me. (I'm not blowing my own trumpet) I have numerous friends, two in particular are from the UK, who either trained with CTC or Oxford Aviation Academy, and 80 grand later are now flying an Easyjet A319, and 757 for Thomas Cook. So yes, bank balance is important, and it may be about money to get with the big boys, but that doesn't mean you can't be just as good a pilot flying a light twin around (at night in IMC ), or flying precision aerobatics on a weekend. It's what you make of it. The grass is always greener, and it's not all about flying fighter jets with the RAF, or a 747 for BA.

My own view is that EVERYONE with a fATPL should simply say b*ll*cks, and don't pay for anything other than their licences. If nobody was willing to pay for a TR, what would the airlines do? Stop hiring..? I doubt it. As long as pilots are willing to accommodate them, the airlines will still have the upper hand and be able to call the shots.