PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basic Service - What's the point?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2009, 23:37
Foxy Loxy

Luvverley!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I'm going to lob in a couple of pence worth here.

C-dog wrote
However even if I'm just bimbling around I prefer to be on someone's frequency - one less thing to think about if the engine goes all quiet on you.
An Alerting Service is provided as part of all ATSOCAS as a matter of course. If you are already talking to us on a BS, we have all the information we would need (i.e. a/c type, POB, position and/or level) and therefore don't have to glean this information from you in an emergency situation. It also therefore assists you, the pilot, in such an event in that it will give you more time to aviate and navigate.

IO540 wrote
Climb Climb are you saying that if you get a BS then the ATCO could pass you traffic info? My understanding is that under a BS, traffic info is specifically prohibited even if the ATCO can see you are in a head-on. You need a Traffic Service to get that info.
Yes, of course we can pass you traffic info! It is definitely not prohibited, and you don't "need" TS to get it. It can be effectively achieved by pilot reports of position and level alone (don't forget the non-radar environments ). These do, of course, need to be accurate in order that all pilots receive the best info we can provide.

Fuji wrote
Hmmm, perhaps a little selfish, it is not just for when you need it, but the help it can be to others knowing where you will be and at what level.
Excellent point, well put.

Finally, if you are asked to squawk, it does not necessarily mean you will be monitored by that unit's radar (if they even have it). Many non-radar (and some radar units too, if they are operating procedurally) have assigned to them a discrete squawk. This simply allows any neighbouring unit to instantly know which agency that a/c is talking to. This may be necessary for co-ordination purposes.