PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report on incident in DUB 2007
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2009, 22:11
PPRNkof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

BOAC - thanks for the thanks! No accident this ended up here. However I agree, probably better off here (real disucsion, less muppets/media). As a result (in retrospect) I'm not too chided, 'cause there's a reason!

I've been onto the AAIU to query the lack of info on EGPWS: see below for interesting points:
(reply to my original query)
thank you for your interest in the above Final Report, of which I was Investigator-in-charge. As you can appreciate, the report only contains information directly relevant to the incident, as the aircraft was stable and configured in the landing configuration, the EGPWS would not activate in the circumstances encountered.

(my reply)
You mentioned that the EGPWS system was de-activated as the plane was in it's final landing configuration. My understanding of the EGPWS (as opposed to GPWS) is that it includes the Terrain Clearance Floor (TCF) function, which provides GPWS protection even in the landing configuration. Given this and the fact that the vast majority of commercial aircraft were using EGPWS in 2007 (approx 95%) I would be interested in knowing was the aircraft fitted with EGPWS?

-end.

I have also incuded a few other queries (related to EGPWS) and we'll see what the man says.

JetFella and Liffey 1M mentioned lighting improvements for the runway/hotel (agree) sounds similar to other recent threads on similar incidents (after Aug 2007 interestingly enough) where planes were landing where they're not meant to (taxiways etc - nothing new there I guess). I just hope the real issues associated with this incident are investigate, identified and sorted.

I think the main issues with this scenario are:
1 - blame culture results in coverup mode, not problem solving (captain was fired after incident.....).
2 - hysterical/inaccurate reporting by media, which feeds point 1, not just in aviation terms. The media should be a positive force in aviation safety (accurate, investigative journalism, rather than headline grabbing drama), instead they've become the opposite.
3 - potential incompetance on the investigators part (given the reply given) -could be connected to point 1.

What I want known out of this is:
Was there an issue with the operation of EGPWS that needs to be addressed?
Was there an issue with location of the building with regard to planning permission that needs to be addressed (to prevent other encroachment in the future) - would lighting improvements mitigate this - was the building entered into the appropriate database for the EGPWS - is there a process in the Ireland for doing this for new high rises (note it would appear that Ireland is about to move from a low density PP mentailty to a higher density PP perspective) & is this something that has to be addressed in other countries?

Just to spell it out - this thread should be about real issues, not ripping strips off contributors or being disrespectful (as so often happens on this site, JJ83, I hope you're listening there fella). I skip posts where the poster starts bashing, personnally I want to hear about cause and effect and lessons learned.