PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines who ask pilots to pay to fly !
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2009, 17:15
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
i can not believe that some airlines sell hours to their copilot.
How long pilots will accept this kind of treatment?
As long as we have pilots buy their own TR's...
Well if you sancitmonious lot want to wind your necks in for just a minute and think before opening your mouth, how many professional level careers (career, not 'job') do you think you can get right now (not 20 years ago) without paying. Any guesses? I'd suggest, ooh, roughly zero.
Even a basic batchelors degree from a middling university is going to run you about 25 grand these days. Then what? Take a lawyer, Law school fees for example costs you alot - no salary and no job offer either at this point. Then a solicitor will do 2 years 'articles' on a salary that is pretty much minimum wage, Barristers will not earn at all (i,e work for free) and may have to pay some money to do their pupilage - oh my god - what horror - fancy demeaning yourself and paying to work Anyone ever heard of 'internships' - much sought after training oportunities, often in the finance industry, in top companies - guess what - they don't get paid either
Accountants, doctors (OK - they are paid by the ever generous NHS in the UK), teachers will all do postgrad training on low or zero salaries with not inconsiderable risk. So perhaps you can all stop whinging and thinking the world owes us a living.

Granted paying for hours is probably taking it a little far (although as i've said is little different to a barrister), but paying for the 1st type rating - find me an airline that doesn't do that one way or another. Even BA put cadets on a low salary for the first few years - you end up paying for the first rating one way or another.
There are some airlines around that have incredibly dubious employment practices - getting the newbies to pay for the training is not really that high up on the list of worries- or shouldn't be.