PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hot Brakes Vs Max Reversers on landing.
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2009, 13:06
Dragon 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the flying lesson guys.
Vapp of 141kts at 180 tonnes (A330) gives you a landing distance of 1045m Then you subtract 1%( FCOM 2), yes that is right, 1% if you have resvers thrust operative, then multiply by the factored distance, which where I am from is 1.67%. 1% is 10.5m. That is less than the cockpit cutoff angle. By the time you get the reverser`s out and working at their maximum capacity you are down near 120kts. Airbus recommend you stow them at 70kts. So you would get 50kts max of use out of them. As I said NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES. Touch down in the touch down zone on a dry uncontaminated runway, would constiute normal circumstances with NO SOLID OBJECTS at the end of it.
So back to my original comment, which has been quoted twice, 1% is little or no effective gain.
The topic of the thread was brake temp V`s MAX REVERS. Not revers idle, or using manual braking if required.
Of course if the the runway is short, wet or contaminated or you are going run off the end of the runway you would use everything available to you to stop.

Last edited by Dragon 1; 27th Apr 2009 at 00:11.