PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brand new Etihad A340-600 damaged in Toulouse; several wounded
Old 26th Apr 2009, 10:35
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CONF iture,
Thanks re the NLG.

Re the other tyre traces, I think we already discussed that, but I haven't been back through the earlier 26 pages yet...

The report says:
• When the aircraft began to move, the ground testing technician pushed on the brake pedals and released the parking brake
• The ground testing technician turned the NWS to the right. This action, by inhibiting the CLG braking, limited the braking effectiveness
• The actions on the brake pedals were not sustained to the maximum level

and, as you quoted:

- Symmetrical braking traces from both MLG are present from around 60 meters until the wall.

IIRC, my reaction was then and now that, since "the actions on the brake pedals were not sustained to the maximum level", the MLGs were not skidding, or at least not much, hence didn't leave any heavy black tyre marks that would have shown up on the photo you posted again (I'd already seen that one too). Braking traces were likely visible at ground level (those that hadn't already been washed away), but not enough to show up on the photo.

I haven't checked yet whether the brake pressure traces corroborate that "analysis".

CJ