PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR vs IMC training
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2009, 22:01
Hot 'n' High

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Maxdrypower

The qualification(IMCR) is not there to allow you to fly in cloud , it is there to assist you if you inadvertently enter imc and need to use an instrument procedure to get yourself home .It is not intended for people to use as a "Fly in IMC" rating
Interesting! Schedule 8 of the ANO says, a PPL shall not

unless his licence includes an instrument rating (aeroplane) or an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes), fly as pilot in command of such an aeroplane:

(i) on a flight outside controlled airspace when the flight visibility is less than 3 km;

(ii) on a special VFR flight in a control zone in a flight visibility of less than 10 km except on a route or in an aerodrome traffic zone notified for the purpose of this sub-paragraph; or

(iii) out of sight of the surface;
I regularly used to use my IMCR on cross-country flights, A to B, in IMC, with appropriate flight planning on the ground and Radar services en route. All legal and, above all, safe, as I made sure I remained current and adjusted my limits up accordingly – or did not fly! And I instruct IMCR students assuming that they will use the Rating as above. And, just to clarify something englishal raised, the IMCR training does include all the joys of partial panel and unusual attitudes and all the different types of approaches! SIDS and STARS are not covered in detail as, unless you are flying Airways, there is little point. And, with an IMCR, Class A is verboten in IMC. Other PPL-level training is in place to mitigate against inadvertent entry in to IMC - 180 deg turn on instruments (except, I make sure my students can do a bit more than the minimum), Forced Landing With Power and general “education” not to get anywhere near that situation in the first place.

Now, quite correctly, several people suggest that Currency and Common Sense are the key to Safety – and, actually, that applies equally whether you have an IR or an IMCR. For example, flying SE in IMC, I always make sure there is a nice gap between the cloudbase and terra firma at departure, en-route and destination – just in case it all goes quiet – an IR or IMCR makes no difference in that case. Why do I not go “under” the cloud VFR? Because, often, I feel far safer in IMC or VMC on top, under IFR, with appropriate Radar services rather than operating with everyone else grubbing around in marginal conditions under the cloud!

Not being current and not applying common sense is the key argument which should be debated. In addition, another debate is the way GA is being pushed out of the regional airports with appropriate Instrument Approaches. Now, that does limit the usefulness of the IMCR – unless the CAA expands the use of GPS Approaches. But that’s a whole new can of worms!! But, that aside, to suggest that an IMCR is of no use apart from in an emergency is nonsensical. And, yes, these days I use my IR flying my SLF from A to B. Of course, I'll be soundly flamed for all of the above - but, hey ho.

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 26th Apr 2009 at 08:23. Reason: Regional Airports