PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2009, 20:56
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion, I agree ever since LTN saw big increase in their numbers since the mid 90's with the likes of Debonair and easyJet starting. The airport has seemed like a constant building site.

Im not on here to knock the airport, but to accommodate the additional numbers the airports many owners seem to have only ever done half hearted efforts to increase the capacity. Doing this at minimal cost and for short term relief!

Lets face it the tin-minal, probably doesn't have a life span much beyond 2025, being made of a prefabricated construction.

Im not saying an airport needs to be an architectural masterpiece, but when you arrive at the airport it does look dowdy and in some ways a bit of a dump. You have a hodge-podge of mobile offices, the old terminal, the easyJet hangar and shiny new tin-minal...

When the new tin-minal opened, I thought the old terminal was earmarked for demolition and eventually all airport passenger facilities would be in the new terminal... At least if the old terminal is not to be demolished, they could at least give it an external face lift and give it some tim cladding!

Also they need to get rid of those awful temporary building with the boarding gates for the Ryanair flights. That should have gone years ago and something more permanent put in its place!

If the front of old terminal was demolished this would atleast hugely increase the drop off zone for buses, giving extra capacity!

Does anyone know if there are any plans to dual the road right up to the terminal? I notice two additional spare lanes that go under the taxiway, still remain unused!

When the new terminal was opened, I am sure it was stated that they would seek to extend the terminal, when passenger numbers increased beyond 10 million per year. As the design allowed this happen, with them being able to extend to the south, where the drop off zone is. I am sure artist impressions also showed another six pack where the short term car park is, along with another pier.

Cannot see this happening anytime soon now!

Can I get a job in the planning committee!