PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching techniques...?!?!?!
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2002, 09:05
skyraider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybeeee....

Sennadog has given me an idea after mentioning bellyflops....

The ideal approach angle in life seems to be 3 degrees but we all know that if you hit water at speed, it's not a whole helluva lot softer than the ground, so if you hold that approach into the water, well thats not a good idea IMHO. Also, the POH did say words to the effect of... "DO NOT ROUND OUT FULLY"... so if you hold the approach until close to the water, taking careful note of the difficulty in judging height above water and round out until you have a level deck, you can pancake onto the surface with the greatest surface area available at the lowest speed..and skip along like a stone on a pond , effectively doing a wheelsup on water....

I think this would hold true for fixed gear as well. Once the gear touches the water, as FFF pointed out, she is going to pitch forward onto her nose. If you are flared into a nose up attitude you have further to fall and more chance of cartwheeling....

so after all of that hot air , my decision is to arrive as slow and as level as possible.... oh yes, I also expect to find religion at that point

Sky