PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-Force dispersal query
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2009, 12:40
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VictorPilot
I think there may be some confusion over the Blue Steel release plans. The method to be employed was developed with the type of release to be used. Initially everything was planned for a high level release at maximum BS powered range, but there was a fall back of an unpowered free fall release. Then, if I remember correctly, we went low level, and the release range was much shorter following a mini-pop-up attack. From low level, if BS had to be released unpowered, the plan was to accelerate to about 400 Knts (?)and do a major full-power pop-up to a pre-determined release height, about 12000 Ft, input a quick NBS correction, drop and run!! I remember practicing one of these releases at Goose Bay in the winter and the full power climb was nearly vertical!
The BS low level reversion was the same as the free-fall 2E which was a 500ft entry at 350kts and a climb to level at 11000ft. It was supposed to be 4 miles of so (40 seconds) to release and about 6 miles from the target.

This was an inelegant solution with crews in training poping up earlier and earlier to get better scores. It led to the development of the 2H where release was made in the climb with the popup occurring between 9 miles - Vulcan 301 and 10.5 miles Vulcan 101. I am not sure that the Victor 2 was still in service when the 2H was developed. I have a paper in the office that I can check on Monday.