PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If it looks right, it'll fly right.
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2009, 08:42
GPMG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it looks right, it'll fly right.

Reading the thread regarding sounds that will be missed and noting that most are sounds of older aeroplanes. I started wondering if we were now in an aural and visual desert as far as military aeroplane design goes.

Looking back over the brief history of aviation, it does seem that the golden age of aeroplane design stretched a mere 30-40 years from the early 30's to the late 60's.

Unfortunately modern aeroplanes are designed by computer programmes and wind tunnel's. No longer does the graceful flick of the draughtsman's pencil add the right touch to a wing tip or a rudders sweeping curve.
Likewise engine development has meant that even aircraft that are designed to be prop driven, now end up with a soulless turboprop.

So with the advent of UAV's and generic designs being turned out by CAD design and wind tunnels etc.... Have we seen the peak of stunning military aeroplanes? Will the Spitfire and Hunter remain the most beautiful and graceful examples of their type? Will the Phantom and FW-190 remain as the most brutal yet stunning looking fighters of their times? And will the Hawker Fury remain the prettiest fighter ever made?

Even the new Typhoon cannot be said to be special and the future F-35 is just pig ugly.
I realise that there are many reasons for each and every line and edge on a modern design but I think it is a shame that none of the aircraft of the past few years will be hailed as classics of design in years to come.

I realise that this is not an important topic, more of a Friday discussion perhaps.