PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2009, 08:06
TheBeak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah but that's not what people want to hear so you can't say it. You are, of course, absolutely right. I was absolutely astonished to read CTC are increasing their prices and by such an amount. If they are needing to do that given the current economic climate I would be even more aware. Certainly do not let a price increase at a certain date force your decision to begin training......

Think of your pilot training like taking passengers on a flight. Would you take 4 passengers up in a seneca single crew with 50kts of crosswind and thunderstorms everywhere? If you would, you are suffering from 'get-there-itis' (see:Worldandnation: 'Get-there-itis' can be fatal for pilots)

Commencing pilot training right now is VERY comparable. You'd be crazy to. I have personal experience of get-there-itis in several flying and non flying areas and it ALWAYS leads you to a cock up. It means you take irrelevant, made up information and make it the most important factors in your decision making. DON'T DO IT.

Mattyh1986 I'd love to hear you back up how you can say:

My argument is, as long as you can afford it without risking too much and as long as you have a back up plan, now is an excellent time to train, you wont start for at least 2-3 months so your looking at the best part of 2 years maybe more before you find yourself looking for a job, the situation is grim at the moment but it wont stay like this.
There has never been a worse time to begin training. FTOs could very really go bust, there are huge hold pools of trained pilots building, There is a huge amount of flux within the industry in terms of Ts and Cs i.e. FlexiCrew and Paying to fly. I'd recommend letting things settle down. As I have said go and do a PPL if you have enough money to cut amount needed to be borrowed to £40-50K. Without knowing your finer details it sounds to be a good training solution for you or anyone looking to begin training so desperately right now.