PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ASA Staff Shortage
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2009, 05:55
Howabout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Children, children, control yourselves; this is all very interesting - past attempts to outsource etc by the suits. 'Exalted one, I have a clever idea;' 'No, no, I have a more clever idea, giver of corporate credit cards, let me brown nose.' Happens in every endeavour, not just aviation.

The classic that I remember was an ad that appeared in the national daily a number of years ago. Memory is fading, but the essence was that Airservices had a clever idea (to cut costs) and put out an EOI for a 'private provider of ATC training.' Allegedly, and according to this cunning plan of which Black Adder would be proud, students would pay their own way, thus giving the private provider income. Then, according to the need at the time, Airservices would employ the graduates, but not necessarily all of the graduates; only the ones they wanted at the time.

So, hey presto! problem solvered - no need for an expensive, pesky 'Learning Academy' and no need to invest money in training. The students would pay for themselves to gain the privelege of then being considered for employment.

Naturally, this scheme never saw light of day after the ad was published. However, the idiot that thought it up is probably still employed and earning a shed-load more than the people who actually do the job.

Who are these mugs that come up with these ideas and what do they get paid?

It costs the rest of us.