PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 22:20
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I used to work with a guy called Geoff Fish who was a helicopter pilot during the war. He used to recount a tale of a mechanical failure which lead to his helicopter crash landing in a pond. I've tried googling this in order to find out more info but I drew a blank so can anyone on PPRuNe add any details?
In an earlier post I quoted the Helicopter was a Scout. Well here are the details.

On the 8th June 1982, a Scout AH1 (XR628/DO) of 656 Sqn AAC was forced to take avoiding action by going to a very low hover (several feet above Macphee pond (Gird Ref VC 018551)) from a formation of Grupo 5 Skyhawks south west of Fitzroy (The aircraft that successfully attacked the two LSL's). After the attack had passed, the pilot started to climb away, at which point the main gearbox failed (Tail rotor drive) and the pilot managed to make an immediate forced landing into the pond (which was about four feet deep) with very little damage to the airframe (CAT 2). After REME techs removed the weapons sight and the engine, the airframe was airlifted to Fitzroy on 11 June by a Sea King and was returned to the UK on 12th July 82 on board MV Elk. However, according to my source (Falklands, the Air War) The crew of the Scout at the time of the accident was Sgt Dick Kalinski (Pilot) and Cpl Juilian Rigg (Gunner).