PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does MPL threaten operational safety?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 22:15
postman23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
experience?

This one was such a wild ride I stapled the ATIS in my logbook as a keepsake. K### ARR ATIS F 0734Z SPECIAL 17032G45 10SM BKN025 BKN040 OVC100 08/03 A2915 WIND SHEAR ADZYS IN EFCT PILOTS REPORT GAINS AND LOSSES 15 KNOTS ON FINAL.
How do you think the MPL pilot on their first month on the line is going to react? Anybody going to let them have the landing?
@ Northbeach: On page 1 of this topic there is a similar reference to the girl landing the LH 320 in Hamburg striking the wingtip onto the deck...

What bothers me from this message and the quoted text above is that it takes only experienced guys to continue flight into adverse conditions rather that divert.

The 320 skipper had 4 diversion airfields in a 20 minute radius with runways into the wind as well as the option of another runway in Hamburg with a lesser crosswind component. Let alone driving the bird himself.

What exactly was it that you were thinking when you read the ATIS plus and minus 15 knots windshear message?

Seriously, please enlighten me on your thoughts since I obviously missed the 'continued flight into windshear' lesson. If there is one thing that cannot be said about 'rookies' is that they are bold enough to continue when they know **** is about to hit the fan. If there is any danger at all in flying with lowtimers it is that of not being able to stand up to Captain Ace who is 'gonna show you how it is done'. well done, are you going to continue next time when it says WS 16 knots, 17?

No offense buddy but maybe you need to review your SOPs rather than stapling ATIS reports in your book.