PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer versus Tornado: there's only one way to find out...
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 17:57
foldingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hulahoop,

I refer you back to:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircr...lack-buck.html

In my post #9 of that thread I stated:

Yes it did have limited gear box oil availability but at least 2 did actually deploy to the Falklands after Corporate was over to let the Argentinians know that we could deploy a strike force to protect the islands if that indeed became necessary. I was on Buccs at Laarbruch at the time and I believe that although the Bucc was considered for Black Buck it was eventually decided not to use it as we, in Germany, were still assigned to SACEUR and those at Lossie were assigned to SACLANT with all that that entailed on the Strike options.
Seems clear enough to me! However, for clarification, the problem was the length of the sortie from Ascension to Stanley, some 3800nms (one way) which, at 0.8M, would have taken just under 8 hours. Without a landing option on Corporate that turned the distance into 7600nms and rather more than the Bucc gearbox oil (or my ass) would last. Hickom to McLennan (with a bomb bay fuel tank and therefore no bombs), some 4.8 hours, was a mere bagatelle compared to a round-trip Ascension/Stanley/Ascension!

32 years ago, I flew a 4-hr maritime attack sortie in a Bucc from Honington deep into the Atlantic (with AAR) and back (to Mildenhall because some dope blacked the runway at Honington) without any gearbox oil problems.

Hope that helps

Foldie