PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Airfield near Newcastle - Recommendations?
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 17:10
Duchess_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're having a laugh....

A nice follow me truck.......vacate at Foxtrot and follow the yellow line. No truck needed.

It was a friendly local club airfield long before it was an international airport, and it's not as if an 'international' airport is relevant to me wanting to park a Cirrus / C182 and walk the 20 metres with a high-vis jacket to the 'shiny' offices of Samson.

Don't mind the £20 landing fee - but the only time in the last 8 years that parking has been a 'problem' was the one night before the Sunderland airshow. And then there was still space. Extortionate rates designed to keep GA away (needlessly IMHO).

Don't get me wrong, the chaps (and chappesses) at Samson and ATC are all very helpful and professional - always get a sterling service from them. Just don't think I can afford to go there too often nowadays.

And regarding the 182 into a short field, check the POH carefully - you'd be surprised at how little room you actually do need.