PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Controllers aeronautical knowledge.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 16:40
loquendum non loquax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
general aviation knowlegde

Gentlemen,ladies....

I didn't fully scan all the previous comments on this subject, but it struck me that a kind of "spook" is going thru ATC training, in that a general knowledge of aviation and/or aviation oriented subjects is being hollowed out thoughout training.
Mostly it has its origin in finance.......there is not enough time (=money) in educating trainees, and on top of that i think in general young people are being introduced into "the real" world by using modular, strictly bordered pieces of training, to be able to know quickly and "efficiently" how to deal with a certain problem and/or situation, but the whole perspective is somewhere lost in a void......
The same applies for atc training as far as i am concerned, at least this feeling is getting stronger and stronger with myself.
Ofcourse you may conclude that i myself am indeed one of the `old farts` and indeed each generation has its merits or so, but a noticeable difference has already been created.Same goes for the LPE issue, and not only for `non western` originating candidates.
It is sometimes staggering to learn that a lot of young trainees are hardly able to express themselves in plain english, though they had `sufficient´ training at high school level.....but ofcourse that is not the issue, the issue at hand is a very, very basic aviation knowledge applied to ATC training by some providers ( i won´t mention which, or which country.....) and this will eventually have its backfiring effect.....

Just my two ATC~pennies....