PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai / UAE
Thread: Dubai / UAE
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 16:39
The Jolly Roger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a couple of points:

Buying a car is cheap and easy. Banks are good to give loans to anyone with a good income. Particularly if you use the bank for salary transfers that your intending to get the loan from. As an example: I bought a Lexus IS300 for 148,000Dhs. Same type of car at home (without all the bells and whistles), 3 times the price. Running the car and maintenance are very cheap. Don't fall into the trap of going for a 4WD "JUST BECAUSE". If your living in Abu Dhabi, finding a space big enough to put it is a mission in itself......in fact finding any sort of parking space in Abu Dhabi is a mission!!! Rental prices are a joke....you won't find a 2 bed for 150,000Dhs per year. More like 250k plus!!! Not joking!!! The ass is falling out of the Dubai market rapidly. Both rents and purchase prices are falling at an enourmous rate. Particularly on apartments as there is quite a lot out there. Villas are falling too, but not at the same rate and depending on where they are situated. Prices may bottom out at the end of the year, but we'll have to wait till after the new school term starts after the summer holidays to see if anyone actually comes back!!!!

Mobile useage is relatively chaep...two providers, DU and Etisalat...similar pricing. I top up my Etisalat about every 2-3 weeks with 100Dhs....you'd be surprised how much you get....Internet is little more, but affordable on your salary!!!!!! The debate whether or not SKYPE is illegal, is ongoing. Basically, Etisalat are saying in order to make calls, Skype need a telecommunications licence in the UAE. Basically, if you have a proxy or VPN, its the best way to make calls by buying some skype credit. Cheap as chips!!!

Anyways, hope this helps......

Last edited by The Jolly Roger; 22nd Apr 2009 at 16:44. Reason: More stuff to say....