PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thank You ATP!
Thread: Thank You ATP!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 12:24
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to say BSMuppet, I actually agree with the general jist of the point [I think] you're trying to make here. Nothing wrong with starting at the bottom at all.
My only caveat is that there's an awful lot of dreamers out there [not to say you're one, btw...talking generically!] who make comments such as "I don't care about salary, I just want to fly". Which is all well and good, except that at some point every job (IIRC, you're a professional footballer?) becomes "just a job" - even if you accept you're bloody lucky to have that "just a job" and hundreds of others would kill for it. And when you hit this point, then you do care - you care very greatly - about the money. And £15k a year (as a PPL Instructor) isn't going to buy you any kind of roof these days. It's not going to buy you a car worth mentioning. It's not going to buy you a nice holiday....So THERE is the "rush" to the jet jobs. Because that's where the money is. It's not always all about loan repayments, it's about having ANY kind of lifestyle, which sadly, GA flying generally won't provide.

FWIW, totally agree on the "work for a couple of years" point. I think the industry would be far better off if more people did this.

I don't agree with "buying a job" line training schemes....but I won't criticise anyone for taking the opportunities open to them to advance themselves...