PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Flying in New Zealand?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 10:04
ExSp33db1rd

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
NZ Flying is very relaxed and largely uninhibited, most is Class G airspace, no ATC, no control towers at most of the country airports, no requirement to file a flt. plan for VFR, tho a facility is available if you want too, and a Sarwatch time is monitored, after which The Dogs of War will be unleashed to look for you if you forget to cancel or adv. of safe arrival.

I can fly from the main GA airfield near Auckland - Ardmore - back to my home base in Kerikeri and have no need to talk to anybody if I choose to stay at 1500 ft. until clear of Auckland, tho' both are mandatory broadcast airfields for departure and arrival, and transponder mandatory above specified heights, but this doesn't stop non-transponder equipped aircraft using the airfields.

VFR up to 3000 ft. is your choice of altitude, after that a semi-circular system applies - to allow for the predominant North /South orientation of the country, so above 3000 ft. fly odds+500 Northbound or evens+500 Southbound, join most circuits 500' above circuit height, which is 1000' agl. usually left hand circuit unless local conditions dictate a rt. hd. circuit. s'easy.

My home club charge $100 NZ ( 38 pounds UK ) per hour for a Tecnam Golf 2-seater, dual or solo, technically in the microlight class, but knocks a Cessna 152 into a cocked-hat. 90+ TAS, less than 20 litres /hr. 5 hours endurance, 2 people with some baggage !

Ensure that all your UK / JAR requirements are valid, medical, BFR etc. otherwise it will be harder to validate your licence for use in NZ.

Enjoy.

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 23rd Apr 2009 at 02:31.