PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FTC South Africa & SA ATPL (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2002, 13:56
pugzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been to FTC, actually for there for 2 years.
I was a fresh faced student, then became a ground instructor and eventually a flight instructor.
Flying is there absolutely amazing, the instructors are keen and talented, albeit low hours (i was a low hours instructor!).
Whether they know JAR very well to teach to the required standard, well, only time will tell. But, to be honest, I cant see it. Talent they have, but experience of JAR, I'm sorry. Thats the crux.
JAR is unique in some testing aspects (ground studies), and unless you know it's quirks, it's very hard!.
Anyway, as mentioned, get it in black and white, signed, dated, etc etc. The management is friendly and keen, but when rubbed the wrong way, run, (as with any school and management really) As a result they have been through instructors at a hell of a rate.

I certainly loved it there and would love you say unconditionally to go out there and enjoy it. But to go get JAA CPL, or even ATPL standard, sorry. Maybe one day, but not yet. It took Oxford 2 years.
Got get your PPL and some great flying, but for everything else, go with those that have been around JAR a little longer, Bristol, Oxford, Guildhall etc.

I hope I havenb't offended too many people, and if i did, i'm sorry. It's just my view, you did ask for it.