PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What I like about this job.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 09:26
handflown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beafis

Beafis,

That was uncalled for and has angered I'm sure many people on this forum. This is a pleasant post about good things in Aviation.
I personally was very lucky and was sponsored through training by an airline whom put me through the Modular Route at a less well recognised school. The airline owned their own FTO and chose to operate a modular scheme. Does that make me less of a Pilot. I did receive further training from the airline before employment. I also didn't go straight onto a shiney jet. However just because I did the Modular route the schools and the airlines further training had an excellent reputation for producing very very competant all round flyers. Every single person I know that went through the scheme has performed above average in furture careers. The fact we all did Modular courses has not stopped us now we are mostly Captains with other carriers. I am speaking for my past peers here. We are all glad we didn't go straight to a large airline and we actually learnt to fly first in our younger years. Please Don't get me started on what myself and others think of 200hr guys flying with us in the right hand seat.

Your words are quite evident to the fact you are obviously new to aviation as most people I work with do not have your attitude and that is what I like about this job. The fact that MOST people Beafis are friendly professional people who respect the different avenues of aviation and respect their colleagues for the different routes they took to get to where they are today. This may not be flying the line for a Major Carrier as there are many many different styles to this profession.

My Favourite parts

Cleaning Planes and Mowing the lawns whilst laughing my head off with my fellow cadet pilots (these jobs were mandatory through training).

Knowing I worked bloody hard to get where I am and have worked in most departments of the business (handling agents, ops, commercial, maintenance) so can appreciate everyones role.

Flying single crew at night, 30 kts cross wind to minima No Autopilot and feeling professionally competant to do so.

Seeing the Northern Lights when flying back from Lapland.

Doing a PA at the start of the day (once I finally did get onto big shiney jets)

Teaching FO's little pointers and seeing them improve.

Learning from my seniors!

The banter with the crew as we head off on a trip knowing we are going somewhere hot and sunny for a few days.

The views. Simply amazing.

Always seeing the sun.

The feeling that you see parts of the day in defferent ways to the folks on the ground.

The time off.

The fact I don't consider this work!

The list is endless but mostly it has to be the people I get to work with and doing what I love.

Last edited by handflown; 22nd Apr 2009 at 11:04.