PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Netjets airplanes in storage
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 08:54
Flintstone

scambuster.

A little bird landed on my shoulder a couple of weeks ago and told me that pretty soon NJA would be offering it's crew several options namely 1) Early retirement with a lump sum pay-off, 2) A short leave of absence (12-18 months?) on 25-33% salary, 3) Leave of absence on US$1000 per month 'retainer', 4) Lighter workload/reduced roster plus a couple of (then) to be decided other choices. That was during the negotiation phase so I've no idea which, if any, of the proposals made it to fruition.

NJE are of course in a completely different position as all attempts at forming a union were spiked (with a little help from a Quisling or two) so the workforce has absolutely no clout and will just be along for the ride to the awful end. As someone said earlier the language in company memos has gradually become less warm and fuzzy over the last few months and it's looking like the worst will happen. No idea on numbers but they've got to be at least 30% pilots overcrewed for the current market or even the first year or two of any upturn in the market. The boys and girls I bump into around the traps tell me they're practically idle.

I don't think it's going to be a case of 'if' but 'when' (this summer?) and 'who'. The seniority list is really just there to placate the masses and will give little if any protection. Those staying will be the ones most useful in the short term ie, whose aircraft aren't parked up in St Mawgan. Not sure where that leaves the cadets. Are they still putting them through Oxford?