PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vic fires, NAFC... What do they do??
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 03:23
riceburner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vic fires, NAFC... What do they do??

Off the NAFC Website:
NAFC also plays a key role in ensuring the sharing of aerial firefighting resources between fire agencies throughout Australia, and in the development of national protocols and systems for aerial firefighting.”

I’m just wondering what NAFC were doing over this past summer. Now that the smoke has cleared so to speak I am sure quite a few operators are asking questions about resources not being used and the tragedy unfolding before the nation’s eyes.

While Victoria was burning, NAFC resources were sitting around NSW. There were also a lot of other operators sitting around doing nothing. One case that has been brought to my attention was that of a medium helicopter with its own fuel truck being de-tasked from a fire on the NSW -Victorian border and sent back to Sydney the day before black Saturday.

Another case was that of a Victorian operator who has been on the DSE Call when needed list for over 10 years, and has never been called. His helicopter meets the requirements laid down, he could just about see the smoke from his place, but he was told he was not required.

I believe the RFS offered its assets to the DSE however the DSE declined.

The standard line from DSE for not bringing in other helicopters refers to not having the correct radios. We all have VHF air band radios and we can all talk to each other.

I really think NAFC and the Victorians have dropped the ball here and have lost sight of the big picture i.e. saving lives, protecting property and managing fires. Did they do “what ever it takes”, as the politicians were spruiking at the time?

The bottom line is that if one jetranger had been able to pick up one person from the path of the fire, it would have been worth sending 10 aircraft to the scene to do just that.

I would be interested in other people’s views on this subject.