PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia commenced BNE-LAX today
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 00:48
V-SFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I haven't been clear, I am only posting about my personal circumstance and my personal opinion.

So you call 13 hours over water with nothing out the window interesting?
No, boring as hell!!! But I only do it 2 - 3 times a month, not 18 times a month, and I sleep half the time!! I always knew it would be boring, but at the other end it's a blast and the people I work with are young, motivated, interesting, friendly and simply fun to be around.

I am lucky. I have experienced a lot in aviation. I have also put myself in a position where I don't have to worry too much about the almighty dollar. I can simply love the job and when I don't, I can move on.

As for the VB guys who turned down the job, I would have also. Why move from a decent company on decent pay to a decent company on worse pay. But a lot of us moved from "Crappy" companys on "crappy" pay to a "decent" company on "crappy pay". I will tell you though, that all VB pilots that choose to come to VA, have a friend in me. It is your right to assume your rightful postion at VA. It may delay my ascent to the left seat, but it is your right and I will not begrudge you of that right. You WILL be welcome and you WILL enjoy the flying.

A lot point to how ****ty the job is going to get when we start going "north/south" or domestic flying. But to me, that means expansion and an opportunity to move to the left seat. Isn't that what we all want?

9 days off??? Not likely. With 3 trips every 28 days that are really 4 day trips (less than 96 hours), you are going to have 16 days off. Anymore than that and you will exceed 1000 hours per year. Will it get worse??? Most likely, but until then I am going to enjoy it. Why anticipate the downfall without enjoying the current great job. Again, if it starts to suck I will simply move on.

There are no longer "careers" in aviation. You go with what suits you best at the moment and when it doesn't "suit you best" you move on.

Anyway, if you don't enjoy your job and feel a need to bitch about it, then do something about it. Although we find ourselves in a "financial crisis", there are always opportunities and those that can do it will prosper.

"Luck is opportunity meeting preparation"......

I have been extremely lucky