PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia commenced BNE-LAX today
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2009, 23:43
maui

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Ad-Astra.

I don't think you have said anything with regard to T&C's that is unknown to the guys who have taken the step. However that step was taken on the basis that, given a sucessful operation, things can and will be improved. I believe the same philosophy was adopted by those who started when VB was not much more than a concept. If in the event of our success, T&C's do not meet expectations, the company will likely be faced with an increased attrition rate that will cost dollars and force the powers that be, to reassess the formula. In the event that we fail the T&C's will be irrelevant, but at least all those concerned can walk away knowing that they have helped in the battle for sucess rather than crawling away having that knawing feeling that somehow we have contributed to the demise, by expecting too much too soon.

It seems to me that you have little knowledge of the way long haul ops work. To a large degree the beancounters are constrained by the nature of the operation and the limitations of the regulations. Paxing long haul crews around the network is totally wasteful. Unless you have a weekly service or close spaced destinations, (neither are planned or envisaged),it is far better to keep the crews in place than it is to pax them across the network. Those very beancounters you talk of, are smart enough to recognise that paxing is indicative of a failed scheduling system, and will stand on it as soon as it rears it's head, as it cost heaps.

We will start doing north south flying. Explain to me how that changes the dynamics of the roster. From a crew scheduling point of view 10 to 12 hours flights separated by 24 to 50 hours of rest is the same whether it is north south or east west, only its a lot easier on the body given the lack of time zone changes.

The most likely change to our working lives is likely to be a reduction in outport rest time as frequencies increase. The net effect of this is to increase the unavailable time at home.

Just simple maths should bring home to you the contrast between short and long haul. 1000 hours at an average of 10 hours/day gives 100 days of operation, 14 hours will reduce that to 71. On the other hand 1000 hours at 6 per day gives 166 days of ops. Given the nature of the respective operations it is far easier to achieve the max in the long haul.
Now looking at those 166 days in short haul, most will be starting or finishing at the ends of the day. Lets say 84 early starts and 84 late finishes, each of which, to a degree screws up the day before or the day after. On the same basis the longhauler could have 35 to 50 each of earlys and lates, but the reality is that departures are generally at more civilised hours. At the moment all our starts are late and our finishes early, and given the inflight rest arrangements the duty is not arduous.

Having worked up to 105 hours med/long and also having done 78 sectors/75 hours short I can assure you that the longhaul is a whole lot easier on the body.

I hope we are still around when you work out that there is more to this life than chasing the big bucks. In the meantime enjoy your extra 60k.

Maui