PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heli ditch North Sea G-REDL: NOT condolences
Old 21st Apr 2009, 23:29
PoloJamie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not an offshore helicopter pilot, nor do I work on offshore rigs, so in a way my input is somewhat limited. However, I see both sides of the arguement. I agree with Pumaboy in the sense that the media are in any effect doing what they are best at, especially in light of REDL's tragic accident, and that's sensationalising small "news" so that they'll sell. They're using their typical journalism to get people worried and hyped up about the subsequent events in the North Sea. To the line though, all the BBC are in effect doing is providing information, different people will interpet it in different ways. Using scaremongery on the guys and girls who fly North sea choppers isn't healthy.

These events (precautionary landings) etc aren't uncommon so I can see why some people may not see the need for the media to tell anyone about it. Everyone has a right to know about something that affects them, especially when it involves something as prudent as this. No technical defect affecting the AS332 or EC225 has been offically prooved, and if something finally is, the AAIB report will tell us.